Teeth become discoloured, turning yellow or even a beige or brown colour, due to stains that develop on both the surface of teeth (the enamel) as well as deeper in the teeth’s structure.
Some of the reasons teeth turn yellow, beige or brown include:
- Drinking coffee or tea
- Smoking cigarettes
- Thinning tooth enamel due to aging
- Eating a poor diet. This includes consuming lots of processed foods high in acid, including soft drinks/soda, candies or sometimes certain fruits. Even some supplements can worsen enamel thinning due to containing acids.
- Suffering from dry mouth (since lack of saliva means less protection for enamel)
- Breathing through your mouths and having blocked nasal passages. These lower saliva and prevent the teeth/mouth from remoisturizing
- Antibiotic use
- Excessive fluoride inintake, especially if this habit starts when you’re a child
- Genetic factors