A dental crown is a tooth shaped cap that is placed over a tooth to cover the tooth to restore its shape and size, strength and improve its appearance. If a tooth is cracked, it is a serious condition and does usually require a crown. Unlike a broken bone the fracture in a cracked tooth will not heal.
A Dental crown may be needed in the following situations:
- To protect a weak tooth from breaking or to hold together parts of a cracked tooth.
- To restore a broken tooth or a tooth that has been severely worn.
- To cover and hold a tooth with a large filling when there is not much tooth left.
- To keep a dental bridge in place.
- To cover deformed or severely discolored teeth.
- To cover a dental implant.
- To make a cosmetic modification.